Ingredients (serves 2 as a 1st course):
- 6 large sea scallops - ensure they're VERY fresh!
- 2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- kosher salt and fleur de sel
- freshly sqeezed lemon (optional)
- thyme or other herb to garnish (also optional)
- Wash the scallops and pat them dry. These need to be DRY before you set them in the pan, or they won't caramelize properly. Season with kosher salt on both sides.
- Heat a skillet (NOT the non-stick kind; it will give you better colour) over medium-high heat. Add the ghee and let melt and heat up to smoking.
- Add the scallops to the pan and let sear on each side until nice and rich, golden brown; about 3-3.5 minutes per side.
- Transfer to a plate, squeeze fresh lemon juice over (optional) and garnish with a scant sprinkling of fleur de sel. Serve immediately!